(Senior) Software Engineer for Payments Engineering team
About Paidy Inc.
Paidy was founded with the mission to create a world of “We remove the barriers, embrace simplicity”, offering its real-time monthly consolidated credit service all across Japan.
Paidy started Japan’s first instant post-pay credit service for ecommerce consumers in October 2014. Paidy requires no pre-registration or credit card to use. Paidy consumers purchase products online using only a mobile phone number and email address, and settle a single monthly bill for all their purchases.
There are currently over 4,600,000 Paidy accounts in use (January 2021). Paidy’s proprietary models and machine learning mean that transactions are underwritten in seconds, with guaranteed payment to merchants.
Paidy increases merchant revenues by reducing incomplete transactions, increasing conversion rates, boosting average order values, and facilitating easy repeat buying.
For more information visit http://www.paidy.com.
About the role:
Paidy is looking for an experienced Scala Engineer to join our new Payments Engineering team.
We are creating a dedicated team to support the continued growth of Paidy's payment systems. The team will be taking ownership of the existing payment systems, and will further develop and maintain them. Responsibilities include setting technical direction, working with other teams on identifying requirements, and delivering new functionality.
You will work on the API gateways and backend services that are used by Paidy’s users and merchants to create and manage payments. You will be involved in all stages of the development cycle. You will be able to share best practices and set standards for your team and other teams in Paidy's engineering organization. You will be able to leave your mark on the engineering culture as well.
The Payments Engineering team is part of the Mega Merchants Engineering department.
About the department – Mega Merchants Engineering:
The Mega Merchants Engineering team designs, builds and maintains the solutions that enable seamless integrations for Paidy's merchants.
We work together with the Product team from early stages, and collaborate with other departments and teams. We solve new and unique engineering challenges, for example, to support SLAs for APIs.
You are passionate about getting things done and into production. The code that you write is functional. You have experience with the Typelevel ecosystem (for example, cats, cats-effect). You are comfortable working with existing Scala code bases. Consistency across services and projects is important to you.
You enjoy the interactions with your peers, and look for mentoring and growth opportunities.
● Design, develop, and deliver new features on our RESTful API gateways and backend services
● Collaborate with distributed and multidisciplinary teams
● Assist in requirements identification and in producing specifications
● Contribute and adhere to coding standards, best practices, and procedures
Required to have:
● Knowledge of Functional Programming, Scala, and the Typelevel ecosystem
● Understanding of software architecture and design with the ability to align the overall service architecture
● Experience with building distributed systems, scalability and high throughput software
● Experience with maintaining and further developing existing code bases
● Comfortable with knowledge sharing, working on a team and building relationships
● Shows interest in the organization’s engineering strategy, product development strategy and how that aligns to the overall business strategy
● Ability to define task outlines and deliverables
● Demonstrates a sense of urgency when required
● Ability to manage some ambiguity and exercises good judgement when needed
● Ability to give and receive constructive feedback tactfully upstream and downstream
● Excellent communication skills, ability to interact effectively with multidisciplinary teams
Good to have:
● Experience with Akka Cluster, Cassandra, Redis, Elasticsearch, Kafka
● Experience with Event Sourcing and CQRS
● Understanding of JVM internals and performance optimization
● Experience with CircleCI, AWS, Fargate, Terraform, Datadog
● Experience working on a payment platform or other fintech field